Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

On June 26th, 2015, the United States Supreme Court ruled to legalize same-sex marriage in all 50 states, and controversy immediately sprang up around the decision. People from coast to coast were either celebrating it or condemning it and the split has yet to diminish.

News stories are coming out of states that are often considered more traditionally conservative about county clerks still not issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. They are utilizing a legal loophole that allows them to pass the responsibility to their superiors, or Deputy Recorders. The problem is that Deputy Recorders are not always available or in the office, so some same-sex couples are coming to get their marriage licenses and leaving temporarily empty-handed.

What Is the Source of the Controversy?

Same-sex rights has been a hotly debated subject for decades now, adding to the overall sensitivity to the issue and the passion in those who argue for or against it. Supporters of the recent ruling, and the five justices who brought it about, cite the Fourteenth Amendment and claim that they have been granted a deserved “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.” Their opposition believe it is an obvious affront to religious and states’ rights.

The division of the American people does seem to have been represented at the time of the ruling, however. According to several recent polls, 60% of Americans believe same-sex marriage should have been legalized a long time ago, while the other 40% are either opposed or have not come to a decision.

If you are a person in a same-sex relationship in North Carolina and need help understanding your newfound rights – including marriage and divorce rights – you can come to the Raleigh family law attorney at the Hopper Law Firm PLLC for professional legal guidance. We have been BV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® and have more than 30 years of combined experience we can use to help you. Contact our office today.

Related Posts
  • Same-Sex Couple Sues NC, Changes Birth Certificate Policy Read More
  • Tips for Winning Custody of your Child Read More
  • Steps to Successfully File for Divorce in 2016 Read More