Child Support Modifications

Four Decades of Experience Guiding Clients Through Legal Matters

Need to Modify Your Child Support Payments?

Work with an Experienced Raleigh Child Custody Lawyer

Does the child support arrangement you agreed to no longer meet you and your child’s needs? If so, then you may be eligible for a child support modification. After divorce, many of the decided matters are subject to change. In fact, it is not unusual for either spouse to seek either a downward or an upward modification to their child support payments.

The burden of proof for a modification will be on the petitioning spouse, however. The petitioning spouse must prove that their circumstances have changed to the extent that a modification to the child support payments is necessary. If you have any questions and need guidance through the process, speak with our Raleigh divorce attorney at once!

Have Your Life Circumstances Changed?

Often times, a paying spouse will petition for a downward modification when he or she has a change of circumstances with their job or income source. Some of the circumstances that would most likely result in a downward modification to their child support payments include:

  • Loss of a job
  • Cut in hours
  • Cut in pay
  • Change of jobs
  • Changing to a lower-paying job

It's important to keep in mind that child support payments are not retroactive. So, even if you started earning less money six months ago, the courts won't adjust how much money you owe your ex-spouse. The only way you can begin paying less is by petitioning the courts for a modification and scheduling a court date.

What You Need to Know Before You Go to Court

Once your court date has taken place and the judge has agreed that you can begin paying less, only then are your child support payments lowered, and from that point forward, you can begin paying less. This is where a lot of people make mistakes. Make sure that you do not take any action until it has been approved by the court.

If you have experienced a change of circumstances, we urge you to contact our Raleigh child support lawyer from Hopper Law Office as soon as possible. On the other hand, if you are a receiving spouse and you wish to seek an upward modification, we can also help you prepare all the necessary documentation in order to present your case in front of the judge.

Contact a Raleigh family law attorney from the firm today to learn more about modifications.

What Sets Our Law Firm Apart?

  • Serving Raleigh Since 1994
  • AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
  • Family-Owned Law Firm
  • Highly-Regarded by Past Clients

Our Testimonials

Stories from Our Happy Clients
  • “They were very easy to work with, answered all of my questions, and made me feel at ease during a stressful time.”

    - Past Client
  • “I was very impressed by the responsiveness and personal attention.”

    - Past Client
  • “They take the extra step and are personal and make sure I am satisfied with whatever decision they choose to take.”

    - Past Client
  • “Thanks to Kevin Hopper, the kids and I are finally moving past the nightmare and learning to laugh again.”

    - Newton
  • “They were able to help me receive the outcome I needed and I would recommend them to everyone.”

    - Holly

    Contact Our Firm

    Put Our Team on Your Side

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy